Sunday 30 April 2017

On the cutting room floor - the regrets of editing

Everyone has to face it at some point, even if they do all their own editing. You will have to cut things out sometimes, whether a scene you love interrupts the flow of the story or it just doesn't quite flow right, there will be times when you must be brutal.

One that springs to mind for me is part of the early version of the journey home within my Heir Non-Apparent novel. It was one of those sections of story that was good for the character (Androvich) but just was not necessary for the plot, especially with later edits.


I have so many scenes like that languishing on my computer. I know they will never be published but I just can't face getting rid of them.
Oh well, at the risk of spoilers (or complete incomprehension) for anyone who hasn't yet read the book yet, I will publish that little something on another page, just to console myself that it has been published somewhere.
Androvich on the Singer

No comments:

Post a Comment